Find enough caches to cover as much of the game board as possible in the hope that the hidden Aircraft Carrier, Battleship, Destroyer, Submarine, and Patrol Boat are found and sunk.
The Game Board is a 10 x 10 grid with the numbers 0 to 9 across the top (x-axis) and the letters A, D, F, H, K, M, N, R, T, V down the side (y-axis).
The ships will be placed randomly on the board horizontally or vertically in such a way that they do not overlap or extend beyond the edge of the Game Board. The ships are:
Aircraft Carrier - 5 squares
Battleship - 4 squares
Destroyer - 3 squares
Submarine - 3 squares
Patrol Boat - 2 squares
- The game starts on December 1st, 2012 and ends on February 28th, 2013.
- The game is open to residents of the Atlantic Provinces (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick).
- Players may only use caches logged or hidden on www.geocaching.com between the start and end dates of the game. For caches hidden by the player, the publication date will be used to determine if it qualifies.
- To determine the grid coordinate of a 'shot' on the Game Board, use the GC code of the found or hidden cache (eg. GC25EWD). Disregard the leading 'GC' characters and use the remaining characters to form a valid grid coordinate. In the example, valid points would be D2 or D5 ('E' and 'W' are not on the y-axis of the Game Board).
- Only cache types that include a physical log to sign will be accepted (ie. Virtual, Webcam, and Earthcaches will not be accepted, but all physical caches and all Event type caches will).
- You may only use one grid coordinate per cache found or hidden.
- Caches may be found or hidden anywhere and is not restricted to Atlantic Canada.
- There is no requirement to fill the entire Game Board. However, the more shots a player has, the better chance of sinking all the targets.
- On March 1st, 2013 the targets will be randomly placed on the Game Board using an online randomization algorithm. As a result, while the game is running, no one will know the locations of the ships.
Prizes will be drawn and announced at the closing event in Truro, Nova Scotia on March 9th, 2013 from 2:30 - 4:30pm. Winners who cannot attend will be notified that they have won and arrangements made for pickup/delivery of their prize.
- Grand Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who successfully sank all five ships.
- Second Prize: The first player to successfully fill the board (by log/publication date).
- Third Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who sank the Aircraft Carrier.
- Fourth Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who sank the Battleship.
- Fifth Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who sank the Destroyer.
- Sixth Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who sank the Submarine.
- Seventh Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who sank the Patrol Boat.
- Eighth Prize: A single draw will be made from all players who participated in the game.
There will be additional door prizes for all those who attend the event.